Varicose veins of the lower extremities are a disease that affects beautiful women four times more often than the strong half of humanity. And if this disease used to be considered “age-related” and after 50 years overtook mainly women, then phlebologists nowadays speak with regret about his greatly increased “youth”.
And the fears of doctors are understandable because they are increasingly being addressed by women whose age has barely reached 30 years. It is therefore necessary to find out what the risk of varicose veins on the legs in women, what causes their appearance, symptoms and what methods of getting rid of the disease are currently known.
Character for the alarm
Doctors have long noticed general signs of varicose veins on the legs, and if they are found, an appointment with a vascular surgeon must be made immediately.
The following factors eloquently trumpet the occurrence of varicose veins:
- Swelling of the legs and feet, especially in the evening, after an eventful day at work. In the early stages of the disease, the edema usually disappears completely after a good night's sleep. However, when the disease has passed into chronic stages, this symptom becomes a companion of the patient around the clock.
- Pain syndrome in the gastrocnemius region, a feeling of fullness that only disappears when the patient assumes a "lying" position.
- Varicose veins on the legs of women noticeably affect the appearance of a beautiful leg. Often the appearance on the surface of the skin in front of such an even and smooth, reddish network of blood vessels makes beautiful ladies urgently go to the doctor.
- In some places on the calves of the legs, especially in the popliteal area, distinctive venous vessels can be seen, which are often knotted and brightly colored. The color of the veins on the legs can range from deep blue to brownish purple.
If you have noticed one or more such unpleasant phenomena in yourself, you should know that these are symptoms of varicose veins of the legs. In this situation, an appointment with the doctor is most urgently needed.
What can happen if you don't see a doctor in time?
This disease is by no means dangerous, it is only a deterioration in the appearance of slim female legs. In addition to the fact that you now have to give preference to pants and dark tights, and toss your once-favorite mini-skirts on the back shelf of the closet, the following can happen:
- If urgent measures are not taken to treat blood congestion in the venous vessels of the legs, then the next stage in the development of the disease is thrombophlebitis. This is because the blood that thickens in the deformed veins gradually forms blood clots that clog the vessels. Blood clots enter the cardiac or pulmonary artery and provoke death.
- The appearance of dermatitis, and later - and trophic ulcers. The skin, on the surface of which the diseased vein protrudes, initially darkens, becomes thinner, tighter, as a result of which an unhealthy sheen appears. If this skin subsequently becomes even thinner, it can easily be exposed to external injuries, and the inflammatory process begins not only in the vein but also on the surface of the skin. This can lead to a trophic (non-healing) ulcer, which is an open, weeping sore.
- A venous vessel, when deformed and stretched, can simply "leak", causing bleeding, which can be both internal and external.
- If ulcers and other skin damage have already formed, pathogenic bacteria and infections can easily get through them into the bloodstream. This can lead to dire consequences in the form of burn wounds and the need to amputate the affected limb.
Where do female varicose veins come from?
This nasty and persistent disease affects girls and women much more often than men, and here's why.
- The causes of varicose veins in women often lie in harmful inheritance. If the grandmother, mother, and older sisters have venous insufficiency, the risk of it occurring in the younger generation is much higher than in those whose female lineage is absent from the disease.
- Professional factor. If your job requires you to stand for a long time (these are salespeople, teachers, surgeons), then blood stagnation in the lower extremities often occurs. The same consequences apply to those whose work includes sitting at a desk for long periods of time at the computer.
- Wrong food. It's no secret that many women like to be pampered with sweets, high-calorie pastries, something spicy like marinades, sauces and spicy spices. When all these goodies are eaten often, the blood thickens. As a result, blood flow is disturbed, clogging occurs and the veins in the legs become deformed.
- Another factor in the appearance of varicose veins is the fact that a married woman, burdened with everyday life, children and work, simply does not have time to devote herself to her loved one. Due to the lack of time for the gym or just for physical exercises at home, the calf muscles lose their tone and stop maintaining normal pressure in the vessels of the legs. Further, the deformation of the vein walls occurs, and blood stagnation does not last long.
- changes in hormone levels. It can be both climacteric syndrome and pregnancy. In the latter case, varicose veins can be caused not only by hormones, but also by increasing pressure on the legs, making it increasingly difficult to support a growing belly. In addition, the intensity of blood flow doubles in pregnant women, and the venous vessels simply may not be able to handle such a heavy load. Therefore, all women "in an interesting position", especially in the last trimester, need regular preventive examinations by a phlebologist.
- Preference for high heels in everyday life. Although this shoe makes a woman attractive in a man's eyes, it is very harmful to your legs! A constant load on the lower leg is a harbinger of blood stasis and pathological deformation of the vessels of the gastrocnemius region.
How female varicose veins can be cured
The measures for treating varicose veins on the legs in women are usually as follows:
- Stop the further development of the disease.
- Elimination of the symptoms of the disease.
- Preventive measures.
Before prescribing treatment, a phlebologist conducts the necessary examination and determines the degree of development of the disease.
If the disease has not gone too far, which is evidenced by the absence of blood clots and other serious consequences, varicose veins can be cured.
Usually prescribed for this disease:
- Ointments and gels that tighten and strengthen the vein walls and also normalize the intravenous blood flow (venotonics). In addition, horse chestnut based products are very effective.
- Tablet preparations with blood thinning and antithrombotic effect.
- tablets that help eliminate and prevent inflammation in the veins. And also these funds help to relieve the pain syndrome very well.
- Drugs for edema.
In addition, there is hardware therapy that is also very effective in treating varicose veins.
- The device, invented by South Korean specialists, perfectly helps tired legs, relieves pain and eliminates swelling.
- A device that helps restore the damaged structure of blood vessels and soft tissues in the painful area of the calves.
- A device that normalizes venous circulation based on its vibrations.
- A device with a complex effect that restores tissues affected by varicose veins and relieves swelling, pain and inflammation.
- A device that uses a laser to heal painful veins, accelerate blood flow, and relieve pain in the veins.
And there are also many folk remedies for the treatment of varicose veins on the legs of women. These are ointments, compresses, rubs and various tinctures for oral administration.
- For example, you can make such a tincture. Take 1 large spoon of calamus root, thyme, coltsfoot, string, birch buds. Put everything in a saucepan, pour 1 liter of boiling water there. Warm up in a water bath for about half an hour. Then allow to cool, drain and drink half a cup three times a day before meals. The duration of treatment is 1 month.
- Compresses for varicose veins based on fermented milk products are also very good. You can use just kefir or pour finely chopped leaves and flowers of bitter wormwood into it (or into yogurt). After wrapping the compress with a film and insulating it with a blanket, lie down for about half an hour. Then the feet should be rinsed and smeared with an ointment for varicose veins recommended by the doctor.
In the later stages of varicose veins, the following is commonly practiced:
- Minimally invasive treatment methods: laser and high frequency correction, microflebectomy, sclerotherapy.
- Classic operation in which the diseased part of the vein (and sometimes the entire venous vessel) is completely removed.
Read them and try to follow the tips that will help you defeat varicose veins.
- Correction of the daily ration. All fatty foods rich in cholesterol, spicy marinades, salt content, smoked meat, as well as strong teas, coffee and alcohol are prohibited.
- When a woman smokes, it makes the treatment of varicose veins much more difficult. Hence, it is necessary to pull yourself together and give up the addiction.
- wearing corrective tights and leg warmers. This is a special undergarment that must be worn by venous patients in order for intravenous pressure to normalize and stop the further development of deformity of the veins. Class 1 underwear is recommended for the prevention of venous disease. If the capillary network is already visible and the swelling has increased, then you need to buy tights of the 2nd compression class. And in case of a significant deformation of the vessels, the 3rd class of compression of such underwear is used.
- Revitalizing fitness complex. Many physical exercises are recommended to help combat varicose veins. This may include jogging short distances, lifting your lower limbs, and swinging your legs.
In addition, yoga can only be of great help if the posture (asanas) does not involve sustained static tension in the calf muscles. Team sports are excluded for the same reason: volleyball, soccer, basketball, weightlifting, long, intense speed runs.
In order for the development of a venous disease to stop as early as possible, you must adhere to the following principles:
- Put high-heeled shoes aside and buy high-quality and comfortable shoes made from natural materials instead.
- Avoid baths, saunas and solariums.
- Replace intense exercise loads with more gentle ones, and don't forget to discuss the exercises with your doctor.
- If you do not do any physical exercise, you need to pull yourself together and allow half an hour a day to do a therapeutic complex of exercises.
- Clean up your diet by including as many vegetables, grains, and seafood in your diet as possible. For example, the secrets of Japanese women, known for their long youth and good health, lie precisely in the abundance of "seafood" and rice on the everyday table.
All of these measures are also great for varicose veins prevention for those who do not want to face this harmful disease.
After all, any disease is much easier to predict and prevent than dealing with its unpleasant manifestations. Love yourself! And be healthy!